Abu Dhabi halts all trade with Iran as Trump promises economic warfare on an unprecedented scale
The UAE suspended trade, commercial exchange and financial transactions with Iran on Wednesday after saying it detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iranian territory. Hours later, Washington announced a package whose contents have not been published.
The UAE Ministry of Defence said late on Tuesday 18 August that its air defences detected two ballistic missiles fired from Iran toward the country; according to Al Jazeera and AP, one fell outside Emirati territorial waters and one inside them, and neither made landfall. Nationwide shelter sirens sounded that night, the first such alarm in weeks, AP reported. On Wednesday morning the foreign ministry announced the suspension. “In light of regional escalations ... all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” said Afra Al Hameli, director of the ministry’s Strategic Communications Department, quoted by Euronews, adding that the UAE remains committed to safeguarding the integrity of the international financial system and to “dialogue, cooperation and regional integration.” The defence ministry said it “affirms its readiness to respond to any threats and to resolutely counter any attempts to undermine the security of the country or the safety of maritime navigation in the region.”
Tehran denies launching the missiles. Esmaeil Baghaei, spokesman for Iran’s foreign ministry, said the Emirati allegation “undermines ongoing efforts to strengthen trust between countries in the region and prevent the escalation of insecurity,” and, per IRNA’s paraphrase, called on regional parties to refrain from baseless allegations, citing what he described as continued US and Israeli malign activities. Al Jazeera reports Iran has suggested the incident was a false-flag operation; that characterisation is not attached in our sourcing to a named Iranian official. Al Jazeera puts Iranian fire at the UAE in the war’s first six weeks from 28 February at more than 530 ballistic missiles, dozens of cruise missiles and over 2,200 drones, more than at any other Gulf state, with Iran describing the targets as US assets. Tuesday’s launch was the first at the UAE since May. In a market wrap timestamped 20 August, 00:04 UTC, Bloomberg reported Brent below $92 a barrel, up more than 5 percent across four sessions, and quoted a Trump social-media post saying his new measures “will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale.”
Assessment: Two qualifications carry more weight than the embargo itself. The first is the UAE defence ministry’s own follow-on assessment, reported by AP and buried in most write-ups, that the salvo was aimed at maritime traffic rather than at the UAE. The second is that nothing published so far says whether the suspension reaches re-exports through Jebel Ali or Dubai’s gold and hawala channels — the only question that separates a substantive measure from a declaratory one. On the American package, resist the obvious inference: no sourcing establishes whether Abu Dhabi moved first, was told what was coming, or acted alone. Announced is not enacted; the contents have not been published. Note also that TIME dates the Emirati announcement to Tuesday, against AP and Al Jazeera’s Wednesday.