MEFILES · Edition No. 34Today's edition · Archive · RSS
Seven files · One region · Zero illusions
All Iran File stories → The full edition of August 18, 2026 →
Three Ships, Four Prices

Trump says Washington controls Hormuz; the trackers count three transits in a day against a 110 baseline

Commercial traffic through the strait has all but stopped while the Red Sea keeps moving, and the alternative Omani corridor is absorbing almost every projectile strike UKMTO logs. Oil barely moved.

CNN’s Monday liveblog, citing MarineTraffic over a 24-hour window, counted at least three commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz — two tankers inbound to the Gulf, one outbound to the Gulf of Oman — against a pre-war baseline CNN puts at roughly 110 ships a day. CNBC, citing Kpler, reported traffic “appeared to grind to a halt” on Sunday 16 August. Windward’s Maritime Intelligence Operations Center logged 12 transits over its own 24 hours to 16 August, eight inbound and four outbound. Lloyd’s List Intelligence’s weekly Hormuz brief for 27 July–2 August carried two series in the same document — 84 transits, up from 45, and a narrower 52, up from 28, apparently excluding Iranian-linked tonnage — and noted non-Iranian gas carriers and containerships resuming after pauses, with a second tranche of vessels left stranded. Against all of that, Fortune reported the administration saying 9 million barrels a day are still leaving the strait. That number is a claim, and it is the one to interrogate.

The risk has migrated with the traffic. CNN counted 56 reports of damage to vessels in the strait and nearby waters since the war began on 28 February, a tally it notes may exclude two attacks reported on 13 August. Of 18 projectile-strike incidents UKMTO has reported since 6 July, 16 were on the southern Omani route — the temporary workaround corridor. UKMTO also reported minor damage to a vessel in a drone attack on 13 August. Over the same 24 hours in which three ships crossed Hormuz, CNN counted at least 37 commercial vessels at Bab al-Mandeb: 19 entering the Red Sea, 13 of them cargo and six tankers, and 18 exiting into the Gulf of Aden. The Red Sea, a year ago the closed lane, is functioning. The Gulf is not.

Prices did not react. CNBC, timestamped 06:20 GMT Monday, had Brent rising as much as 1 percent to $89.40 before trading 24 cents lower at $89.28, with WTI down 67 cents at $81.74; both contracts had gained more than 5 percent the previous week after attacks on ADNOC-operated tankers and a Saudi Aramco refinery. Trading Economics put Brent at $88.31, down 0.24 percent on the day and up 32.60 percent year-on-year. Fortune printed $91.53 for the same morning, roughly $3 higher. Different contracts and snapshot times explain part of the spread; it should not be averaged. Underpinning the standoff, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters in Panama on 13 August, after addressing the crew of the destroyer USS Gridley during PANAMAX 2026, that “indefinitely the United States Navy can maintain a blockade,” rotating ships in and out. CBS News reported, citing a single unnamed US official, that the carrier USS George Washington left Vietnam last week bound for the Middle East to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Assessment: Two claims cannot both be true: total control and 9 million barrels a day moving. If the strait were functioning at that volume, tanker rates and Brent would not be flat, and the trackers would not be counting in single digits. The likelier picture is a trickle of covert and convoyed cargo, which Trading Economics gestures at, plus prices anaesthetised by the absence of a hard outage. The number that actually describes the war is 16 of 18 — the workaround corridor is where the shooting is, which means whoever is striking it is targeting the escape valve, not the chokepoint. Note also what the Gridley and the George Washington imply: the Gulf is being resourced by stripping the Indo-Pacific.