MEFILES · Edition No. 33Today's edition · Archive · RSS
Seven files · One region · Zero illusions
Sahel Monitor The full edition of August 17, 2026 →
The Siege That Counts Trucks

Bamako’s fuel convoys have become the war’s scoreboard, and every side is inflating them

Nearly a year into JNIM’s blockade of the roads into Mali’s capital, the numbers that circulate are convoy sizes and tanker losses — figures each party has a reason to shape. The blockade’s target is not the city but the junta’s legitimacy.

The blockade dates to 3 September 2025, announced in a video by the JNIM spokesman Abou Houzeifa al-Bambari; since then more than 300 fuel tankers have been destroyed on the routes in from Senegal, Ivory Coast and Guinea. Mali imports roughly 95 per cent of its fuel by road, which is what converts road interdiction from harassment into a strategic instrument. The rhythm has been uneven: the aggregator OpsCon, writing in July and citing secondary material, records that the blockade eased early in 2026 before JNIM reimposed it in late April, with convoys ambushed and burned in batches — 40 or more tankers in a single October attack near Sikasso, and at least 15 people killed in one attack on a fuel convoy near the Senegalese border. OpsCon’s operational read is that the capital is supplied only in armed convoys, and that fuel is the single point of failure for anyone operating in or around Bamako.

Convoy arrivals are now the currency of the information war. Agenzia Fides, the Vatican missionary agency, quoted local sources describing “a convoy of 1,000 fuel tankers, escorted by the army,” greeted at dawn by a cheering crowd in Bamako. The Russian state-aligned outlet Pravda Mali, citing Telegram, reported on 31 July that 850 trucks had arrived exactly a week after a convoy of 880. None of these totals has been independently counted. Fides also recorded the civilian face of the campaign: observers told the agency that the tactic of blocking routes between cities has long been used in Gao, Mopti, Timbuktu and Kidal, and that since September it has extended to the ring around Bamako, with buses and private cars attacked, women beaten for not wearing veils, drivers and passengers extorted, and cases of kidnapping for ransom.

What the blockade is for is stated plainly in Al Jazeera’s reporting, which reached this desk through aggregation: JNIM imposed it in retaliation for the military’s ban on fuel sales in rural areas, and appears to be succeeding in turning public anger against the country’s rulers. The second-order effects are on record — the US Embassy urged American citizens to “depart immediately,” schools and universities closed for two weeks, airlines began cancelling flights. Omar Sidibe, a driver in Bamako, told Al Jazeera: “It’s up to the government to play a full role and take action, to … uncover the real reason for this shortage.” Meanwhile the Russian side of the junta’s bargain is being rationed. Benedict Manzin of the UK firm Sybiline told Africa Defense Forum in June that Africa Corps has pulled back from northern Mali to guard the capital and the leadership: “By and large they are taking more of a backseat role… They’re doing everything they can to avoid having to feed more bodies into the meat grinder.”

Assessment: Treat every convoy figure as a claim. The junta needs them large to show supply restored; Moscow needs them large to show its protection contract working; JNIM needs the losses large to show the road belongs to it. Fides is independent of all three but is quoting unnamed locals. One widely circulating number — a 500 per cent fuel price rise “from $25 to $130 per litre” — is internally inconsistent and almost certainly a garbled unit; this desk will not print it until the original copy surfaces. The strategic point is Manzin’s: Moscow supplies airpower and regime protection, not infantry. Road security is therefore Bamako’s problem alone, and the roads are where the war is being decided.