Huckabee’s Qusra statement becomes an Israeli domestic story, with Netanyahu the one staying silent
The US ambassador called Israeli settlers who besieged Palestinian homes near Nablus “Israeli terrorists.” The Israeli press is reading the sentence as an election event rather than a West Bank one.
The underlying facts are wire-confirmed: Israeli settlers besieged three Palestinian homes in Qusra, south of Nablus, including that of a Palestinian-American family, in photographs dated 12–13 August. US Ambassador Mike Huckabee called it a “horrific act of terror,” called the perpetrators “Israeli terrorists,” and called on the IDF to remove outposts erected in Palestinian yards, in statements on Thursday 13 August largely posted to X. Qusra’s mayor, Abed Al Athem Wadi, told the Associated Press that six homes in the village had been evacuated and taken over by Israeli soldiers, including the three besieged hilltop houses — that is one on-the-record local official, not an independent count. JTA notes the village lies in Area B, under Palestinian Authority civil jurisdiction and Israeli security control, where Israeli settlement is not permitted.
What the Israeli press did with it is the story. Israel Hayom, the right-leaning daily founded by Sheldon Adelson, framed the shock institutionally: Huckabee “stunned Israeli officials” by describing Israelis who pitched tents near Qusra as terrorists. The Times of Israel’s 14 August liveblog headline records the absence at the centre of it — “While Netanyahu mum, Israeli envoy to US condemns settler violence in Qusra” — with the prime minister’s silence the reportable fact. A settler leader told ToI on 13 August that the siege was “not our way,” a public split inside the movement. Haaretz, in its Elections 2026 section on 16 August, filed the whole episode as campaign calculation under the headline “Netanyahu Hopes Huckabee Slamming Settlers Is Worth a Few Votes,” arguing that “for the rest of the world, three Palestinian families besieged in their homes by Israeli settlers and passive Israeli soldiers in Qusra looks like a moral crisis.” That is Haaretz’s analysis, not an established motive.
Assessment: An American ambassador using the word terrorist about Israeli citizens is a discourse event with no enforcement attached; nothing in the reporting shows outposts removed or arrests made. The interesting variable is domestic: Netanyahu’s silence buys him the settler right ten weeks before a vote while Huckabee absorbs the international cost on his behalf, which is why Haaretz reads it as a favour rather than a rupture. Distrust the neatness of that reading — it assumes coordination that has not been demonstrated. The harder measurable is the settler leadership’s “not our way”: whether that distancing survives the Likud slate being finalised, or was a weekend’s positioning.