Kushner leaves Jerusalem with an agreement no two officials describe the same way
After four hours with Netanyahu, the American side briefed that a path forward had been agreed. The Israeli side briefed that the IDF is not moving. Both accounts came from unnamed officials.
The sequence is not in dispute. On 30 July a 15-point, US-backed roadmap was announced under which the IDF would withdraw from Gaza in step with Hamas disarmament; Hamas accepted it and Netanyahu rejected it. On Sunday 16 August Jared Kushner met senior Hamas officials and mediators in Egypt — a two-hour meeting, per the Washington Post; NBC News called the talks “rare.” On Monday Kushner met Netanyahu in Jerusalem alongside Board of Peace Gaza envoy Nickolay Mladenov, Tony Blair and US Ambassador Mike Huckabee. CNN, cited by The Hill, put the meeting at four hours; NBC called it “hourslong.” According to Times of Israel’s liveblog, Netanyahu pressed Kushner on why he had met Hamas officials at all; Kushner said he wanted to hear the disarmament commitment “face-to-face,” and noted that his last in-person meeting with Hamas officials, with Steve Witkoff, produced the October 2025 hostage release.
What was agreed depends on which anonymous official briefed which outlet. Reuters, quoting a Board of Peace official, reported the meeting was “lengthy, in depth, and very productive” and that agreement had been reached with Netanyahu on a path forward. NBC, quoting a senior Israeli official, reported the two men agreed demilitarisation “should start with a Hamas weapons handover supervised by an American military general,” that no reconstruction begins before Hamas disarms, and that “necessary measures” be taken on sanitation and environmental concerns — and that Netanyahu “made it clear” the IDF will not redeploy but will “continue to thwart” threats. The White House did not immediately respond to NBC’s request for comment on that account. Times of Israel’s own headline at 5:19 p.m. read: “Meeting with Kushner, PM doubles down on IDF remaining in Gaza until Hamas disarmed.” A Board of Peace official told ToI: “Israelis are going to give this a chance. Now it’s up to Hamas to show if it truly intends to comply.”
At 2:40 a.m. on Tuesday, ToI’s Jacob Magid reported that the Board of Peace is weighing a new disarmament framework — abandoning the phased approach to a Hamas weapons handover, already accepted by Hamas and rejected by Netanyahu, in favour of a wholesale plan. The item rests on one official involved in the talks. A separate wire report, carried by the Denver Gazette, said Israel had agreed to “working groups” on demilitarisation. A US official told ToI’s liveblog that the gaps with Israel “are not huge,” but that Washington wants Jerusalem to take limited steps to give the process room to test whether Hamas begins surrendering weapons at all.
Assessment: Read the two briefings against each other and the seam shows. “Agreement on a path forward” and “the IDF will not redeploy” are not obviously compatible, because redeployment against disarmament is the entire mechanism of the 30 July plan. Reuters' quote came from the American side and says nothing; the Israeli account is the only one containing an operative commitment, and it is also the account calibrated for a Likud electorate mid-primary. Watch two things: whether the American general supervising a handover is ever named, and whether Magid’s single source is joined by a second. If the panel adopts wholesale disarmament, Hamas’s acceptance of the phased version becomes worthless. Note also what Israeli outlets did not carry: any official response to the lapse of the 60-day Iran window on Monday, which Trump told CNBC he will not extend.